Friday, December 21, 2007

Seven Medical Myths Even Doctors Believe

OK, after this I don't want to hear it from any of yous! These seven "well-known facts" are medical myths, as documented by the British Medical Journal.

It's very hard in discussions with people to pinpoint exactly from where one gathered one's information, especially when it comes to mythbusting and debunking, two of my favourite activities (how do you think I got so interested in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?).

Once the link rots, I'll lose my source. But here are the myths for now, with explanations given as summarised from the BMJ study.

Link to article with explanations:

http://www.livescience.com/health/071220-medical-myths.html

The Seven Myths Even Doctors Believe (without explanations):

1. We use only 10% of our brains.

2. You should drink at least eight glasses of water a day.

3. Fingernails and hair grow after death. (Come on, this one is obviously false.)

4. Shaved hair grows back faster, coarser, and darker. (You can never convince anyone that this is a falsehood, especially not a woman or anyone from the Indian Subcontinent.)

5. Eating turkey makes you drowsy. (Tryptophan my arse.)

6. Mobile phones are dangerous in hospitals. (They should still be banned because they're intrusive and disruptive.)

7. Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight. (This is the only one I believe still may be true over the long run. I want more evidence!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shaved hair DOES grow back coarser.