Sunday, June 29, 2008

Obama will turn our country into Canada? Sweet!

If this columnist from the right-wing Washington Times* is right, I'll definitely vote for Obama. Canada is exactly what these United States need to become.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/29/obamas-america-is-canada/

*True story: I shared a cab once in Jerusalem with a white South African who wrote for The Washington Times. He asked me if I'd heard of the paper. "Don't confuse it with the Washington Post," he said.

"Of course I've heard of it," I said. "It's a right-leaning paper." I said it matter-of-factly, not disparagingly. (I was in a good mood after negotiating a sweet fare for him and me. He was a bystander to the dickering process and then asked at the last second if he could jump in with me since he was going to the same place.)

"Oh no, oh no, it's not right-leaning at all," he expostulated. "It's a very mainstream paper." Right, but Fox News is also considered mainstream in our crazy country. That doesn't discount its being a right-wing network. Everyone knows that. I don't deny that The Nation is a left-leaning magazine, or "a liberal rag", in the words of one of my lefty friends.

No comments: